Sunday, January 15, 2006

Bittersweet

Ann's race was yesterday. I woke up in the morning, just relieved that the day was finally here. If I wasn't prepared, it didn't matter; it was too late. If I was prepared, and I think I was, then let's just get in on.

After I made up all the race packets and stuffed them with tshirts and numbers I took count. I had 68 people registered. I knew of another 10-15 that were planning on registering on race day. I had ordered 125 tshirts and had a couple dozen volunteers to give shirts too, all should be set.

I and some members of the run club were going to get together at the High School at 7 AM to get rolling. We needed to set up tables, the start line, mark the course, set up the clock, get registration ready, get the pick up area ready. Get food, water, etc. ready. Oh. My. Gosh. Overwhelmed. Breathe. Deep.

The race was to begin at the Middle School. Since there was a basketball tournament going on we were able to use the commons area for our race. That was a blessing.

Even though it was a balmy 25F and sunny outside, it was wonderful to set up and hold the registration, the awards and the prize drawing inside.

My volunteers were awesome. I had three High School girls that did the race day registration.

The community really came out and supported Ann. There was a line for registration, we thought we might start the race late so all could register but it was 855 and everyone was ready.

Out to the start we went, and here comes Ann, riding to the start line. Perfect timing. She was able to watch the starters, then stayed at the finish to watch them come in.


It was just incredible, everything went well, the race went off without a hitch..thanks to the awesome volunteers. We had 3 people at the race clock, running back and forth to the MS with the results, 4 people recording the results, people setting up the drink, the food, making lists so I can order more tshirts. Incredible.

We raised $2500.

Ann drew names for the awards. We had MN Twins tickets, twins merchandise, running store certificates, socks, food, massages; the works.

Thank you to each and every one of you that volunteered your time, donated money, ran/walked the race. I thank you all.

7 comments:

jessie_tri_mn said...

Congratulations on a successful event, Julie!!! I thought about you yesterday...

It's so touching to see a community come together to support one other. Runners are especially supportive, I think :)

Best wishes to your friend Ann.

Great T-Shirst by the way.

Joyce said...

congrats! it sounds like it was a hit :)

Ironayla said...

Congrats on a great race. Great to see the community come together for Ann!

I will echo Jessie - I wish the best for Ann.

Cliff said...

That's great Julie. Always glad to see a successful local run.

Kim said...

Julie sounds like a wonderful day. You are a beautiful person inside and out. I could only wish to have a friend as wonderful as you.

BIG Hugs to you and continued prayers for Ann.

Joe Sherry said...

That's awesome, Julie! I wish I could have registered and helped out but I'm not in a place where I am able to do so at the moment.

It is exciting to hear that the turnout was greater than expected!

William said...

What an amazing thing to pull off Julie.

Way to go.

Good luck this weekend too. Expecting photo's and a report.