Monday, July 17, 2006

Heat Training

MN has been experiencing a bit of a heat wave. During the past seven days the temperature has hit the 90's which, isn't so bad in itself, but when the dewpoints are in the 60 and 70's, temps in the 90 F's, it's freakin' hot.

Troy had a baseball tournament all weekend. 3 games on Saturday and 2 games on Sunday. Those poor boys! No one complained, no one suffered from heat stress or injury due to the heat, but man, they were wilted. His team ended up losing only 1 game, not too bad! I and Steve were able to find some shade for most of the games. Thank god.

We spent yesterday afternoon inside of the Metrodome watching the Twins win the Indians, again. Good baseball all around.

Needless to say, I've been getting in some good heat training. I have the Voyaguer 50 mile race in two weeks; (http://voyageurtrailrun.com)from Carlton, MN to Duluth and back. There is a section of Powerlines we run through which get very very warm. One year a thermometer was placed strategically on one of the posts and read 115F-sure it had the sun beating on it, but still, it was warm. I'm hoping the heat wave breaks before the race.

Today I pulled the sled on the trail for 7.5 miles very early. I wanted Topaz to get out with me, so we ran at 5 AM-it was already 80F but the ponds were full and he was fine.

A little later Tyler's guitar teacher called to reschedule lessons from tomorrow to today. Well, that left me 1.5 hours to do what? RUN of course! I dropped off Ty, grabbed two hand helds and my iPod and ran another 12 miles on the hot asphalt around the lake in town, at 93F. More than once I made believe that I was training for the 135 mile Badwater Ultramarathon! Never say never, right?

7 comments:

Cliff said...

I think warm does not describe 115 F. Scorcher is more like it :)

olga said...

I think you absolutely SHOULD do Badwater! This will be perfect for you!

angie's pink fuzzy said...

whew, heat training! badwater: go for it!

Cathy said...

Your post reminded me of something I received in the mail recently that made me think of you.
I got a newsletter from Gemini Adventures ( www.geminiadventures.com )summerizing some extreme races here in the South West. There is now a 100 mile race in Boulder CO (if you decide to do that one, my home is open to you) on Oct 13-14, 2007. This might be good for altitude training to see whether even 5000-7000 feet impacts your performance. There is also this Desert RATS (race across the sand) in mid summer June 17 - 23, 2007.

marathonP said...

Go Julie. Glad youre doing well. I'm continuing to log miles and do resistance training for my 50 miler. San Francisco Marathon end of July. Travelling alot, but getting my miles in. Listen to this list of runs in the next 2 weeks: I call it my famous parks running. First running Golden Gate park in San Francisco, this Thurs/Fri, then the Capitol Mall in Wash DC (Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson Memorials run) next Tues/Wed, then Central Park in New York next Thurs/Fri. Then a little Marathon in San Fransico. Work travel made glorious by running :)

Take care, phil

Sheila said...

Hey, just checking in. As always, you are still nuts, and I love how your exuberance just dances off the page of the computer! You are SOOOOO going to do Badwater, and do WELL at it. But first things first...

You continue to inspire!

miki said...

Your sled pulling pictures are priceless. Hi, I'm Miki. Matt forwarded me your foot goo remedy which totally worked for me recently. Good luck with the training. You look like Badwater material to me. :)