Thursday, June 28, 2007

Track Workout

I haven't completed many track workouts this spring or summer. Today I hit the track. It was cool out this morning, only 58 and man, the dew point lifted out of the 70's. The humidity broke.

Today's workout was a mile warmup, a 1 mile, 2 mile and 1 mile repeat. Head down hard, go fast, lift feet quickly and RUN HARD. Ugh. Run hard it was! I was flying down the track. I turned up my iPod so I didn't have to listen to my all out gasping. Then, 1 mile cool down. Left me drained.

Well, not too drained. Off to the trail to give Topaz his run. Slow and easy, only a few more miles.

Now I'm off to travel around the state a bit. Heading up to Lusten for a few days for some Superior 100 training. I want the boys to see the Red Rock Loop; I'm hoping they'll want to hike it. I imagine they would rather swim in the pool, but you never know :)

After Lutsen I head back home to get Tyler on a plane leaving for Orlando for the Life 2007 conference with his youth group. He is so excited. I asked our youth pastor if they needed another chaperone. Unfortunately, they do not. Tyler leaves Sunday so I will have another run at the Buck Hills.

Head up to Lake Vermilion to spend some time at the cabin and celebrate the 4th of July. Looking forward to some fishing, some swimming, just relaxing.

Then it is off to Rochester as my Mom is scheduled for surgery at The Mayo. She is having a very aggressive, serious surgery for the removal of cancer. She was diagnosed three years ago with Stage 3 Ovarian. Had surgery, chemo, and we thought, cancer free for 3 years. With cancer, you just don't know. Here some of the cancer hadn't been removed. It's been growing and didn't die with the chemo. So another round of surgery and chemo it is.

Hopefully, all goes well, and I'm at Afton 50K. After the race I'll either head back to Mayo, or head up to the cabin. My schedule is open.

Have a great 4TH OF JULY holiday!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie,

Some of the kids at our church are also going to Life in Orlando - I hear its great! Bummer you couldn't go along.
I will also be praying for your mom, and for you during this time. That's tough.
I'm finally running some miles again and getting healthy. Still hoping I can be ready for my first 100 this Fall. And good luck in Vermont!
Brent (from WI)

SnarkyFit said...

Phew. Your track workout description made me feel ill just lookin' at it. They are BRUTAL.
Safe travels and good thoughts for your mom.

olga said...

Yikes, something I haven't done for a long time as well - and not even sure when I will this year - but it is definitely a great help in training!

Kim said...

Hugs and prayers for your family Julie... I hope all goes well for your mom!