Saturday, December 01, 2007

No Western States..No Grand Slam :(

I, along with 1000 others, did not gain entry to the WS 100 mile run for 2008. BUMMER. I was really feeling lucky, my training has been spot on, I am ready to give it a go.

But, hey, I'll be ready next year or the year after, too. There are many other races out there.

I'm glad to be able to plan my races for 2008. I'll begin with the Northwoods Snowshoe Marathon, in Duluth, in January. February brings the Psycho Wyco 50K in Kansas. March..hmm..don't know, I'll have to find something. April is McNaughton 100, of course. May is Superior 50K in Lutsen. Instead of Ice Age, which I ran last year, I'm heading up north. My family actually likes the Superior races and will come along with me. The race only takes 6 hours so I still have plenty of hiking/swimming family time. June brings FANS for 100+ and July will bring the Afton 50K and something else. August I'm going to run Leadville. Maybe I can get my family to do a car trip to Colorado with me. September I'll head back on over to Superior and better my 35 hours for the 100. The three weeks recovery time between Leadville and Superior will give me a good taste of the Slam when I'll be running Leadville and Wasatch. I might head down south to AZ in October and run the Javelina Jundred. We'll see. I'd like to better my 4 100's this past summer to 5 100's for next summer.

Congratulations to all of those that were selected in the WS lottery and a big congrats to MN's own Al Holtz and Joe Lovett who are going! I was hoping to join Al in the Grand Slam, well, not this this year, but maybe next year!

4 comments:

mh said...

I was rooting for you to get in to the 100 miler. I have great respect for ultrarunners such as youself. As I was running 11.5 miles on a treadmill today and I was wondering how can anyone run 50K or 50 miles or 100 miles. I have great respect for long distance runners and when I "get marathons out of my system" I may just try ultras. Good luck next year with the lottery.
--Mark

Anonymous said...

Rats. Their loss. They don't know what they are missing!! Better luck next year! Hope you aren't too dissapointed!

kelly said...

I didn't get into WS either. I was bummed out but entered a hard new 100k which is in March in California. Time to start planning races and adventures!!

Travis said...

sorry to hear about no WS. I was rooting for you too. It looks like I will be joining you for more than a few laps at McNaughton this year. I'm going to tackle the 100 for my first 100 miler attempt. Looks like you have a great schedule for the year. Keept training hard and smart!!