Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Weather Outside Is Frightful...

A little Christmas Carol for you!

Yesterday was a beautiful day, well a beautiful morning. When Topaz and I headed out on to the trail it was 38F and snowing a nice wet sloppy heavy snow. When I arrived home, 4.5 hours later, it was 21F and the wind was whipping. The snow was driving down hard and freezing into ice on the trail and roads.

I had planned at least a 3 hour snowshoe run, but circumstances caused me to feel much angst and I just kept on running. Running can cure almost anything. Luckily I had water and gels in the car, we just circled back and forth, getting a 4:25 snowshoe run in. I'd like to get in a 5 or 6 snowshoe run prior to the Northwoods Snowshoe Marathon, but if I don't, no biggie. I'm ready (enough).

Today we headed out to the trail in blizzard like conditions. Snow was falling and blowing. The temperature said 4F but the windchill was -30F. That makes all the difference. Back to 2 pair of pants, 2 shirts and a jacket, mittens and wind mitts with a fleece neck gator and hat. Brrrr. I was happy to get in 2.5 hours.

I'll work my legs over this afternoon at the gym after I run some last minute Christmas errands. I'm having Christmas Eve dinner here. Our traditional porterhouse steaks, lobster and shrimp, venison stew, halushkis, cheesy potatoes, tequilaberry salad, lefse and Waldorf Astoria Red Velvet Cake for dessert.

Merry Christmas.

3 comments:

SteveQ said...

Wow, I wish I were eating at your house! Halushkis anything like kolachkes?

I thought I was running well in the bad weather, but you're making everyone look wimpy by comparison.
Merry Christmas!

ollie said...

good for you. I put in about 1 hour outside (we went from 50 F to 15 F overnight, and all of the water on the streets from the rain froze).

Bev said...

You're not human. When I grow up I want to be like you.