Sunday, January 27, 2008

Balmy

I can't imagine what I would post about if I didn't live in Minnesota and had constant weather changes, as well as season changes. There would be no snowshoeing if I was in the warmer climate, no stories about frozen river and lakes. No stories about trudging through deep snow or wearing 3 layers of clothing. As much as I have complained in my former negative life about winter, I no longer hate it. I have come to embrace it. What a relief!

Today was 39F. Definitely balmy. When Topaz and I left for the trail it was 7F, so we had a nice warm up. The snow was crunchy enough so I didn't need to run in snowshoes. My wound wasn't hurting so I wore my trail shoes. I only noticed a bit of pain on the top of my foot from the snowshoe race where the straps were digging in. Not too bad. The power of positive thinking I tell you! For example: I was worried about not being able to run the 1/2 yesterday, but after telling myself and believing, truly, that I would not hurt, I didn't hurt, and I was able to run hard and well.

This morning was a nice, relaxed 3 hour run. I stayed near the dirt roads and 4 wheel paths, not going too far into the trail as I didn't want to navigate on uneven ground too much. I didn't see a soul. Topaz and I had the area to ourselves, along with 3 bald eagles and 8 deer. After 1.5 hours I just turned around and headed back to the car.

Our plan was to go bowling and laser tagging this afternoon, but with the promise of a warm day we decided to hit the slopes instead. I didn't know if I could get my foot into a stiff snowboard boot but was willing to give it a try. I wrapped it up tight and it was just fine. I lasted for 4 hours and then sat in the chalet, reading the sequel to the Pillars of the Earth; World Without End. It's wonderful. My favorite book for years has been East of Eden, but I think Pillars and now WWE is a close 2nd. I may have to read EOE again, just to be sure.

My heel looks worse than it feels. At least there is new skin trying to grow back. It isn't as raw as it was. I took the picture today, after 8 days of healing.

No comments: