A week ago, Thursday, Tyler came down with what I thought was the flu. He had a fever, was vomiting and had a stomach ache. He stayed home Thursday, decided to go to school on Friday and was home sick until Wednesday, when he decided to go to school again. On Thursday he couldn't get out of bed because his side hurt so badly.
It finally hit me. It could be his appendix. I called the clinic for a 220 appointment on Thursday. After the clinic visit, his doctor suggested we go to North Suburban Imagining in Coon Rapids for CT Scan to look at his appendix at 730 PM. While Tyler consumed a large amount of barium, I went for a run with Topaz. I was worried about his appendix. I kept wracking my brain, trying to figure out when the side pain began. It was the Saturday before. Shit.
We went to NSI and sure enough, his appendix had already burst. The doctor there couldn't reach our Elk River doctor so she told us she would call Mercy Hospital and we needed to get our butts to ER as soon as possible. On the way to ER I had Tyler call Steve, Mom and Dad and Laurie.
The ER doctor met us at the door. They ushered Tyler off to ER and began to give him sedatives for surgery. NSI gave me a CD of his CT Scan. The surgeon came in and looked at it, saw that the appendix was already burst and decided to hold off the surgery. He felt that because it already burst the infection had been moving throughout for some time, that his colon, liver and intestines were already compromised. He felt that by going in and performing surgery they could do more damage to the tissue, having to reconstruct it; and if they would drain the infection, let the tissue heal, and complete the removal of whatever is left of the appendix at a later date (3-5 months), Tyler could be better off.
Now, Tyler's primary surgeon is not a pediatric surgeon. Tyler is 6'2", 180 pounds. Not really a child, but not an adult. He has a pediatric surgeon on his team, along with his primary and they are calling the shots together. For now, he has a nasty tube that is cut into his back, set near where his appendix was. It is draining foul things out of him. The hope is that the infection and guk drains well, he gets stronger each day, he can be released and the appendix or what remains of it can be removed, or not, at a later date.
It's been tough. I hate hospitals. Well, who doesn't? It breaks me, seeing my young, tough, otherwise always healthy son laying in the hospital bed. I finally came home for a few hours yesterday to shower and today for a few hours to shower and get Troy and Steve some groceries. With Steve not being able to drive because of the DWI it's really been a bitch. I have spent the last 5 nights sleeping in the room with Ty. He's getting better each day. His fevers are lessening, he began to eat a bit of solid food today, a few things are improving.
Tyler had another CT Scan today but his surgeon was called to an emergency so I haven't heard the result. Tonight when I return I hope to know what our next step is.
Say a prayer. Wish us strength. I sure appreciate it.