Friday, February 15, 2008

Still Bound to the Hospital

Tonight is night number 9 that Tyler has been in the hospital. It's not easy. The good news is that he is feeling better, and is becoming bored. The bad news is that he is still there.

Wednesday the radiologist took another CT Scan. There was a bubble of infection that still remained near his colon, it wasn't draining with tube 1. He added tube 2 through his back and attached another bag onto it. Now Tyler has two tubes draining infection.

His fevers have lessened somewhat, his white blood count has gone down a bit, he has a bit of an appetite and his blood culture looks good. These are all good signs that he is getting better.

The hope is that upon a CT Scan on Monday the surgeon and radiologist will see that the infection is GONE, the tubes and bags can be removed, he can be given an oral antibiotic, get off of the morphine and percoset and I can take Tyler home.

What I don't want to happen upon the CT Scan is to see more infection, to realize the drain isn't working and that removal of infection and appendix has to take place surgically. This past week plus would then be wasted time.

I'm hanging in there. I just want normalcy again. It will feel good to be grateful for the normal things: the three of us riding to school together in the morning, bringing Tyler to guitar lessons, being back at work and having Tyler visit me during his lunch, running. I haven't run since last Thursday, before his CT scan appointment.

I haven't been to work in over a week. Thankfully my coworkers understand fully. I am hoping to be back to work on Tuesday, if all goes well.

Thank you for all of the prayers, thoughts and well wishes. I appreciate every one of them.

9 comments:

Bev said...

The prayers will keep coming Julie.

Cliff said...

Julie,

I just read your blog. I will keep your family and your son in my prayers!!

Take care..

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. I think of you and your family often. That is encouraging news that the whites are going down and cultures looking good!

-Michelle

Jamie said...

Great to here that he is on the mend.

Runner Susan said...

My thoughts are with you Julie!

olga said...

Nothing is a waste of time - he got stronger for surgery if anything.
Thinking of you.

Cheri said...

Julie,
Still praying for you all.
Take care.
Your strength is amazing.

Cheri

Anonymous said...

Julie-

Glad to hear your son is feeling better. Best of luck with the test results tomorrow.

Ellen

RunBubbaRun said...

Best wishes to him and to a speedy recovery as well. Hopefully he will be out of the hospital soon.