Saturday, June 14, 2008

School's Out For Summer..

School's out for summer
School's out forever
No more pencils
No more books..Alice Cooper

Oh yeah, I am now on summer vacation. You just can't beat it. 8 weeks of relaxation; only my fun schedule to follow of hanging with the boys, running, swimming, gardening, whatever I feel like.

Whenever I feel the passing fancy of going back to work, downtown Minneapolis for the past employer, in the posh luxury office building, with the mucho mega bucks and the bottomless budget..I need to remind myself of summer vacation and the passing fancy goes away.

I can't believe that it has been five years since I began to work for the school district. I survived the 2 million dollar budget cut this round, so I even have a job to return to late summer. Next year-all bets are off.

Because I have only been working out once a day as I am recovering from FANS 24 Hour Run..I have been doing a whole boat load of baking.

I baked another bread from Bread Alone. I chose the recipe with the most preparation, the biggest loaf I could find. The Pain Au Levain. I first had to develop a 'chef' that I had to feed every day for 3 days; it was a bubbling, growing live mass. I then added the chef to the bread ingredients and I had to let it rise, punch it down, let it rise, punch it down and shape and rise again. It was wonderful! It was a full 4 pound loaf.

I baked more caramel pecan rolls and then cinnamon rolls. The boys liked the cinnamon rolls better than the caramel pecan so I made them again. Tyler's friend came over and ate 4 of them! They are huge, light and airy wonderful rolls. I make two 9x13 pans full and they are gone in less than 2 days.

I now have a Grasshopper Fudge Cake in the oven. After spending the day on the baseball fields and attending a graduation party, I realized it is Father's Day tomorrow, hence the cake baking. Steve's favorite meal is grilled New York Strip with carrot, potato and onion in foil packets on the grill. After the ball games, we'll celebrate Father's Day.

This week I walked Monday and Tuesday, and ran Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Just nice little 5 mile runs on the trail with Topaz; a few 20 mile bike rides to and from work. Nice recovery stuff. Next week it is back to the hills, the stairstepper and lifting. I'm looking forward to it :)

3 comments:

Runner Brewer said...

I love the fact that you are still a Metal Head.

Kel said...

I feel like I need an insulin shot just reading about all the sweets that you're baking ;)

Anonymous said...

Have an AWESOME summer!!!