Wednesday, December 24, 2008

16 Layer Jell-O

Isn't it pretty? I love Shiny Bright ornaments from Christopher Radko and this jell-o reminds me of my beautiful ornaments all around me so I will call this jell-0 Shiny Bright.

Nancy brought this jell-o to our Thanksgiving Fat Ass at Afton a few weeks ago. I knew immediately that I had to put it together for Christmas Eve. I added the cherries and whipping cream.

Nancy mixes in sour cream with every other layer; I used whipping cream. My boys aren't big on sour cream. Some use yogurt.

Here's what I did:

I bought the Trifle bowl from Pier 1 Imports for $2.99! It's glass, it's huge and you can't beat that price. It holds 19 cups.

So, I bought 7 different colors of jell-o. I mixed one cup of hot water into each jell-o and dissolved and stirred. I then took out 1/2 cup of the jell-o water mix and added 1/3 c whipping cream to one of the 1/2 cups of jell-o. I had bowls and jell-o all over the place.

I poured a jell-o bowl into the Trifle bowl and let set about 20 minutes - until finger bounces back when touched. Then I poured the same color with the whipping cream on top. Set again for 20 minutes and repeat and repeat and repeat. I found that the jell-o would set while sitting on the cupboard so I just microwaved for a minute until runny again.

On top I placed a couple of cups of whipping cream and red/green cherries.

Shiny Bright!!

Have a Merry Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Londell said...

Wow, that is cool! I love jello abut this is art!

Happy Holidays!

Carol said...

Wow! Is exactly what I said, too, when I saw this! Very impressive. I am also impressed by the patience you have to do something so time consuming as this! And all the dirty bowls! Wow, I say. WOW!!

SteveQ said...

In my drinking days, I remember having something where they layered shots by density, so you ended up with 12 bands. Pretty, but I'd prefer Jello.