Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

A big Happy Mother's Day to all of the Mom's out there. Mom's of children, mom's of dogs, mom's of cats..whomever you are a Mom too!

I began to celebrate Mom's Day last night. We went to Pittsburgh Blue for dinner. I love this restaurant. This was the first time the four of us went together and the first time that ALL of us agreed that we liked everything about the restaurant. We all loved the meal, the service, the ambiance, everything. It was fabulous. I had a pound of Alaskan King Crab Legs which Tara, our waitress, cracked for me. Marvelous. I also had about a pound of perfectly steamed broccoli and Tyler and I shared a wedge salad. Good eating.

Today I woke early to get in a long run on the trail. The foresters had a controlled burn out at Blue Hill Trail on Monday so the trail is still in pretty rough shape. Lots of ash blowing around and there are still some smoldering logs. Luckily Topaz doesn't seem to singe his paws at all. We've been out there since they reopened Friday and he barrels right through so I guess he hasn't stepped upon a hot spot. The scenery is pretty ugly, though. All charred and no greenery. It doesn't look like spring anymore. Next week I'm sure greenery will begin to show up again.

We ran 15 on Saturday and 20 today. I'm feeling good and strong. My energy levels have remained high so I am getting in good long runs and kick ass weight lifting sessions.

I was able to get out into my perennial gardens today. My gosh, the winter didn't deter the crab grass and dandelions that is for sure. You'd think I planted a sod garden with all of the grass I have growing. At first I felt all negative about going out there weeding. Soon enough I reminded myself that the reason I began this garden was because I enjoyed working in the soil, the peace and quiet, spending time by myself. That turned my negative thoughts around. I began to enjoy my work in the garden, reminding myself that I didn't have to weed it all in one afternoon, enjoy the time to myself, enjoy the time spent reflecting. I certainly did. It was medicinal.

Next Saturday is the Superior 50K. I'm going to take it nice and easy. One, I haven't run that distance since I tore my vastus medialis. Two, it's the Superior Hiking Trail. I'm just going to enjoy the day, no racing, take in the scenery and enjoy myself while running the 50K. Good stuff!

1 comment:

SteveQ said...

Sure you'll take the Superior 50K nice and easy - but you'll still beat me by an hour.