Friday, February 19, 2010

Minneapolis Marathon


I've been blogging for quite a few years. As Trail Runner magazine put it "Julie Berg began blogging before everyone was blogging"; I guess that is the truth. Only recently have I noticed that bloggers are given free merchandise, services and affiliate dollars from others as an exchange in receiving publicity via the blogger. I wasn't sure how these bloggers received these freebies but I though it was pretty cool. Alas, I had never been contacted by anyone to receive anything free other than POM juice. Until this past week.

Amy of Team Ortho Foundation contacted me, asking if I was interested in a free entry to the Minneapolis Marathon as well as free shwag - fleece shirt and hat - in exchange for blogging about the training runs prior to the race. Amy read my post relating to The Polar Dash, this is how she found me. She stated that the posts I would write were not required to be positive only; that the only requirement was I would blog about them. Well, of course I agreed. I had been hoping to run the Series because as I stated earlier, I love to promote a local race and the finishing medals are top notch. Top Notch.

The Minneapolis Marathon is a new marathon which will be celebrating it's second birthday this next June. I think Minnesota really needed another marathon during the summer season.

Grandmas has been the only marathon choice for many of us in the beautiful summer months and, unfortuately, the City of Duluth has taken advantage of the runner and his/her pocketbook by price gouging. Don't get me wrong, I love Grandmas Marathon. It was my first ever marathon and I went back to run it another half dozen times. Our family would stay at the Best Western Edgewater, right on London Road. This made it so easy for for my family to watch me as I ran past. The only downfall: $$$$$. Big bucks. The hotels in the City require a three night stay. THREE NIGHTS! In 2000 it was a two night minimum. By the time I ran the race in 2006 it was three nights. Needless to say, the last time I ran Grandmas I drove up in the AM, drove back home in the PM, leaving the family behind. We easily dropped $1500 for the Grandmas weekend. It is now just too expensive for our family of four to visit Duluth during my Grandmas Marathon weekend. I now have to go solo.

So there is a new kid on the block. Team Ortho - same directors of the Polar Dash which I wrote about earlier-and was so impressed with - have put together the Minneapolis Marathon. The race is held Saturday, June 6. Early registration would get you in for $69. Price increases as time goes on.

What's real cool about the race orginaization is that they have FREE training! Yeah. FREE. Each Saturday, from tomorrow the 20th, through the end of May, you can particpate in group training runs. They will provide water, sports drink and gel. I am not kidding!

Tomorrow's run is 5 miles at 8:00. You can find directions/details here. I can't make it tomorrow but I will be there next week. I'm looking forward to it!

A coworker of mine, Rachel, ran her first marathon here last year and had a great experience. I'm looking forward to running my 40th marathon here in June.

3 comments:

Iris said...

I had no idea that there was a Minneapolis Marathon. Good to know - now if only my school year ended a little earlier so I could get out there again!

Muslfetish said...

Awesome!

Anonymous said...

That will be a great race. I know alot of the pacers at this event. Nice job with blogging