Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Few Vegan Recipies: Lentil Patties and Vegan Curry

Yesterday Troy had a baseball game away, I wasn’t able to attend so I had a few extra hours at home. Normally I am at the game, running quickly before hand, or Troy has a practice that is finished at 430, leaving no time for the drive to and back from the trail.

As I was running the State Park trails I was thinking about what I might feel like eating for dinner. With some extra time I wanted to create a few new meals. I recalled a few recipes that I hadn’t yet tried. A curry with coconut milk – I have never used canned coconut milk, either, and a lentil patty. I’m calling it a patty because I don’t think it should be confused with a burger. It tastes nothing like a standard beef burger and isn’t supposed to replace a burger.

The trails were all clear of snow, only a few areas where streams have overtaken the trail (today they are covered with snow!). Topaz and I ran 10 miles, enjoying every step.

On the way home I looked up my file (thank you iPhone!) with recipes and noted that I needed to stop for canned coconut milk to create the curry. Both recipes are from the No Meat Athlete website. A website I visit often.

Both items were very easy to make up and both were very tasty! The curry is especially good with the creaminess of the coconut milk. I ate that for dinner last night and have my lentil patty atop greens for my lunch today. Yum!

Here are the recipes if you are interested:

• 1 c dry lentils, well rinsed
• 2½ c water
• ½ t salt
• 1 T olive oil
• ½ medium onion, diced
• 1 medium carrot, diced
• ½ t pepper
• 1 t soy sauce, optional
• ¾ c rolled oats, finely ground
• ¾ c bread crumbs
Directions:
1. Place the lentils, water, and salt in saucepan, bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes, until water is nearly gone and lentils are very soft, with splitting skins.
2. Sauté the onion and carrot in oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Mix the lentils, onions, carrots, pepper, and optional soy sauce in the large bowl, then mix in the ground oats and bread crumbs.
4. While still warm, form the lentil mixture into patties, which can now be frozen, refrigerated (for up to 5 days), or cooked immediately.
Cooking (2 possibilities):
1. In a frying pan, heat a bit of oil, place a burger on top, and fry until brown, 1-2 minutes. Repeat on other side and serve.
2. In a 400º oven, bake the burgers on a greased baking sheet until light brown, about 15 minutes.




Curry:
• Cooked brown rice, however you like it (we used 2 boil-in-bags this time)
• 2 Tbsp canola oil
• 1 small yellow onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
• 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
• 1 Tbsp curry powder
• 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• 15-oz can chickpeas
• 15-oz can coconut milk, solid and liquid parts mixed (just shake the can)
• 1/2 cup frozen peas
• 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
• 1 cup water
In a heavy saucepan (Dutch oven if you have it!), heat the oil over medium-low heat. After the pan has heated up for a few minutes, add the onion, garlic, ginger, and jalapeno. Cook for about 5 minutes until everything is softened. Add the curry powder and stir for 30 seconds. Add salt and pepper (I added a lot of salt, almost a tablespoon).
Add the sweet potato, chickpeas, coconut milk, and water to the pan. Increase the heat and bring to a boil. As soon as it starts boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sweet potato is tender. It took about 15 minutes for me. Add the peas and tomatoes; stir occasionally until they're heated through, about 4 more minutes. Serve over brown rice.

The canned coconut is amazing! Creamy and nice, sweet. A good fat, too.


I portioned out the servings for the rest of the week. Lunches are ready!

Chippewa 50K this Saturday. Long and slow, I am not going to look at my watch and if I am last I am OK with that. I am thinking of this as a paid training run for Bighorn.

I am so looking forward to Easter. I love holidays and love Easter! It is supposed to 65F, sunny and lots of fun. The Easter baskets are ready, we'll dye the eggs, egg hunt, croquet, I'll be baking the bun bun cake. Spending time with my boys. Can't wait!

No comments: