Friday, April 06, 2012

40 Does Not 100 Make

Can you just hear that in my sing song voice? Well, 40 Does Not 100 Make!  I know you can.


Yeah. This disc thing. I hadn't had any pain December to March 17, when I fell. Since then I've slowly been getting better. The good:  I took time off, I knew what the pain was, where it was coming from, where it was radiating too. I learned my lesson. I didn't continue running through it-although give me a break-I didn't know what the pain was about the first time through so continued to run.  Until I couldn't. 


I am able to get through the day without Advil, Oxycodone, I'm finished with the steroids. I'm on the mend.


I can CrossFit-I continue to attend at least two classes a week. I still suck at snatches (I better not get spam for that word!!) and burpees but I don't hurt. Last night the WOD was a 5K run. Sweet :)


I can lift heavy. I am at Gold's 3-4 times a week. I have made amazing strength gains. I can't even believe it sometimes. I am strong.


I can run. I can run. I can run. I can run 6-7 hours and then I feel pain. At about 40 miles, the discs let me hear them. I can feel the whole nerve scenario, the hand numbing, etc. Now, when I felt this last summer I continued to run until I couldn't. When I couldn't - I couldn't. No run, no weight training, no grocery shopping, no sleeping, no walking. I don't want to go there again.


I have to be happy with a 50K, a 40 mile run, a daily run with my Topaz. I have to be happy being able to get through the day without pain, lift heavy, attend CrossFit...live.


I have to be happy not running  Zumbro 100. Well, I don't have to be happy about it, but I should at least feel smart about it. Instead of feeling like a pussy. Maria told me I am not a sissy! I can volunteer. I can run 50K, 40 miles, while out at the race. I can have fun. I will have fun. Cheers!



No comments: