Monday, August 19, 2013

Running the Superior Hiking Trail: Superior 100 Training Runs






I'm thrilled to report that my ankle is feeling much better. It seemed as though during Week 4 I really noticed a difference. I didn't feel the need to ice every few hours and there were even a few walking/running stretches in which I forgot all about it. Good stuff!

Early last week Maria let me know that she and Doug would be heading up to the SHT and asked if I'd like to go along. Yes! I asked Steve and Troy if they were interested but sadly they declined. I would leave Friday after work and stay until Sunday. 

Maria was able to reserve a campsite at Lamb's Resort. We weren't sure if we would be able to get one of the unreservables at the State Campgrounds, so Lamb's it was.  We were able to pitch both tents on one site so it only cost me a whopping $22 for the weekend!

It wasn't that great..it wasn't that bad. We had a family of drunks next to us and with only a few trees inbetween -it made for sleepless nights. Oh well.

Saturday I ran the Crosby-Manitou to Temperance section - 23 miles and Sunday ran the Temperance to Oberg section-11 miles. I had absolutely NO ankle pain so I consider this a huge success. I feel great today-no swelling. I still have the climbing muscles I reinvented on the ski hills at Hyland earlier this summer. 

Manitou is the most difficult section for me. It took me about 3 hours to run during the day, fresh. It takes me over 4 hours to run in the dark, at mile 62, very unfresh!  It felt good to run again, without wonking out my ankle.  

Doug, bless his heart, met us at each trail head with water. I was able to get the training run complete with only water, scaps and gels. 

Having had to take a full three weeks off and then only running a few miles the past few weeks does make me nervous about the 100. I'm not going to sit and cry about it. Because this time on the trail went well I will be at the start line. This past weekend could have gone very poorly or very well. I'm thankful it was the latter!

Less than three weeks to the big one! Weee!



   

3 comments:

Sue said...

Oh my look at those roots! 16 days and counting...very excited :)

Olga King said...

I am in the same boat! Hardly running and have a 100 Oct 4th. Body memory and tenacity!

Julie B said...

Yes, Sue, it is a root filled trail, for sure! Can't wait to see you! Not quite LeanHorse!

Olga, good luck at your next 100! Hopeful that body memory lasts 4 years for me :)