Monday, January 20, 2014

Winteriffic 30K Snowshoe Championship

I have entered The Winterrific Snow Show Race each year for the four that it has been held. Due to hysterectomy, herniated discs and then a cancellation due to ice, I have never been able to run the race. This year there was a different story.

I loved running the Northwoods Snow Shoe Marathon that was held for years in Lester Park, in Duluth MN. AfterI ran the race for 8 years, it was discontinued a few years ago.

Winterrific is a Minnesota State Championship and Nationals Qualifier that is held at Murphy - Hanrehan Park Reserve in Scott County, in Savage. I found it interesting that as I pulled up to the race start I recognized the trail head as the first place I had every snowshoed before with the exact same pair of snowshoes and with one of the same people that was at this race. Melancholy. Scott Wagner, Bonnie Riley and Bob Metzger introduced me to snowshoe running 13 or 14 years ago. I'll be forever grateful to this bunch for the patience they showed a newbie running/ultra runner/snowshoer!

We had a very small group. Half dozen 30K, half dozen for the 20K and maybe a dozen for the 10K. Sweet!  I have to say, I just love the small trail races. I've learned to be careful for what I wish for!  As a founding member of  UMTR, we were trying to encourage more people to run trails. We certainly  succeeded! Many (ultra) trail runs now fill well before race date in MN. FB has increased the participation of group runs ten fold on the metro trails, it's crazy busy on many trails. Good .. and not so good.

When I awoke on Saturday morning I could hear the wind and snow beating on my window. The race didn't begin until 930 but after listening to whatever was happening out there I thought it best to get on my way..taking the regularly 75 minute drive slow and easy.

I pulled out of the garage and saw roughly 7" of fresh snow!  Wow!  This was not in the forecast!  The winds were howling, causing near white out conditions as I drove ever so slowly down Highway 10. Nothing had been plowed yet but I was hoping as I drove south into the more populated areas that the road conditions would improve.

In 45 minutes I finally made it to 101. Oh boy. This was going to be long. At least 101 was plowed and  I knew 94 and 494 would be better. I crawled along, making my way, thinking about turning around and going back home once or twice.

There is nothing worse than seeing cars in the ditches, semi trucks askew and trying to stay calm. Ugh. Drive slow and safe. Much like my run: slow and steady.

I made it to the race start in 2.25 hours. I was so glad I began the drive early!  I still had 20 minutes to spare.

I shuffled out into the snowy path which led to the warm up tent. Collected my packet and headed back to my car. I visited with Paulette a bit and then needed to decide what I was going to wear. It was 11F, new deep snow, warming to 20F, wind gusts of 35mph. Hmmm. I learned not to dress to wind chill temp or I get to warm. OK. Stick with that. I wore one pair of pants-Skirt Sports with skirt. I love the extra layer that skirt has on my butt for warmth. I decided not to wear the tights underneath. If I was freezing I could swing back to the car to add them later. That made me feel better. Tank top, long sleeved top, gortex inov-8, snow shoe gaiters, gloves, wind mitts, winter Patagonia Storm jacket, neck gaiter and fleece hat. Northern Lights Snowshoes. OK then. Clothes good. 10 gels (no gels at aid stations), iPod (never did turn on), Garmin 310XT, 1 hand held. HammerHeed was on course. OK. Back down to the warm up tent/start finish.

We were going to begin a little late, due to the poor road conditions are that Mike was out on course making sure the markings were not buried in the deep snow. While waiting I realized Scott Wagner was running :) Maria stopped by after her run to say hi and give hugs, I saw E and John as they were running the 10K. Maynard was there, too.  Phillip was running the 30K. Dan was running the 30K. Good friends that go way back.

Mike returned and gave us the run down of the course. They added an aid station, there would be one at 2 miles, 4 miles and then start/finish at 6.25. We'd loop 3x for the 30K.

He led us to the start and we were off!  The snow was DEEP!  Deep, fluffy, fresh snow. It was spectacular and gorgeous. The snow had stopped falling, the sun was now shining brightly, what a day!  I didn't know what was in store for me. I popped two Aleve before starting as my recovering broken ankle is still cranky on trail. I'd do what I could and would NOT damage it further. If I felt 'that' pain, I'd stop. End of story.

I was glad that there were some speedy runners to break trail for us slower ones (Dan and Joseph)  I hung out near the end, plowing my way. The 10K started a half an hour later so only the 20K and 30K snowshoe runners were out at this time.

When I spotted the first course marking I was relieved! They weren't going to be under snow, they were just clearing the deep new fluff. I was going to be able to find my way!  We shared a portion of the trail with snowmobilers but each time I came across them, they were kind and allowed me the right of way.

The first aid station was approaching. I ran up to it and recognized Lynette!  I don't know the last time I saw her. What a treat!  She filled my bottle and sent me on my way. I was really having a good time.

Most of the race I ran solo..every once in a while I would run into another racer and exchange pleasantries, but 80% of the time I was alone and deep in thought.

I was filled with gratitude. Grateful to be healthy enough to be able to sign up for a 30K snowshoe run. Grateful that my body could carry me that far. Thankful that my ankle was feeling strong. I wasn't feeling it at all.

As I ran into the start/finish 1:25 had passed. I was feeling coherent, pain free and just content. So happy to be out in the woods, in the deep snow, feeling the sunshine upon my face. Spiritual.

The single pair of pants was fine, I didn't need to add a layer. Often times I unzipped my jacket. I was eating a gel every 3 miles, drinking 40 oz of Heed every loop.

When I came in at 2:57 for my second loop I was surprised at how consistent my running was. Would I finish the race in 4:30? That would be as consistent as I've ever been. I was smiling brightly and so happy to carry on down the trail.

The last loop already!  Be sure to take it all in, enjoy every step. No iPod necessary. I was listening to the soft snow under my snowshoes, my breathing, the birds in the sky. I felt euphoric.  I thought about how I need running. It allows me to be in the moment, to think about the right now, the present. I need to clear my head..running does this. It lets me rid myself of any negativity, to feel the positive. The gratitude. It allows me to remember to trust myself. Not the doctors who told me I wouldn't run again. It reminds me that when I am knocked down..to climb back up. To try hard, to fight.

This was no fight. This run was a result of the fight. I felt euphoric. I felt waves of emotion bubbling down deep in my stomach, then working their way up into my heart, feeling my heart swell with joy. Bubbling out of my mouth in large gasps. Laughter. This wasn't the anxiety and panic I have been feeling the past year. These weren't tears of sadness that were falling from my cheeks. This was true joy.   As the tears of joy were falling from my eyes  I could feel my eyelashes freeze.  I could feel my nose run. I was still two miles out from the finish. What would the finish line feel like?

I didn't want it to end. I wanted to run another lap..and another. I felt strong, my ankle felt strong!  It was a glorious day.

I was coming close to the finish line, I could see the blue tent up around the corner. I saw the clock. 4:29. I tried to compose myself but I knew better. I was feeling so much joy, it couldn't be contained. I felt the bubble down deep in my stomach, the joy into my heart as I ran into the finish and yes, it all come to the surface as Mike and Colleen congratulated on my finish. I sobbed.

"Are you OK"?  "Yes, I'm better than OK. I'm euphoric. I was told I would never run again after breaking my ankle at Superior 100. I ran joyfully and strongly and I feel amazing" . Mike and Colleen gave me big hugs and my award. I sat down as Mike removed my snow shoes, trying to compose myself, it was futile. I wear my emotions on my sleeve. My sleeve shows happiness and joy.



2 comments:

Robyn said...

What a beautiful day it must have been for you. I'm happy and euphoric for you just reading this! So glad you had a great day in the snow.

Daniel Potter said...

It's phenomenal to read about the passion you have for these races and the rewards that they bring. This makes me want to find a snowshoe race near my own home!