2016 Racing Schedule

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Morton's Neuroma Surgery


I have made the decision to have foot surgery. Surgery will take place on January 9 at the Centennial Lakes Surgery Center by Dr. Judith Hector of Twin Lakes Ankle and Foot Clinic. After a few opinions I found my way to her via  Helen Scotch and Valeria LaRosa, a friend and fellow ultra runner who had her perform the same procedure a few years ago, successfully. I’m praying that my outcome is the same.


I’ve had two shots of cortisone to no avail, tried pads, wider shoes, taping and separating of the toes. Nothing is working.  

I first noticed this pain while running Superior 100. I thought there was  a blister on the ball of my foot but there was nothing that I could see. There were blisters everywhere else!  As I healed and recovered from finishing Superior 100, the pain in the ball of my foot never went away. It felt like I was walking on an acorn.

Morton’s Neuroma is the diagnosis I received after my first appointment that I made with a sports doc.  I had a shot of cortisone which did nothing. I then went to Dr. Judith Hechter of Twin Cities Ankle and Foot Clinic where I received another shot of cortisone and a lengthy discussion of treatments. I’ve tried them all.  After another appointment this week I’ve decided to have surgery.

I’ll go in at 945 on Friday the 9th and will be back home in the afternoon. She will make an incision at the top of the foot, inbetween  toes 3 and 4. She’ll cut and remove the nerve and neuroma.  I’ll have about 20 stitches and wear an open toed surgical shoe for 10 days.  Over the weekend I’ll keep the foot elevated. On the third day I’ll meet with the doctor again to make sure there is no infection and to confirm that I’m doing well.  I will be able to work, to drive, etc. 

Dr. Hechter says the neuroma is quite large. The size of a quarter. I wasn't surprised.



I’m tiring of this non running business. Once a week really isn’t cutting it. After the Donut Run I was in extreme pain. Each time I run the pain is worse and the nerve zings me for the remainder of the day and the next. It’s really quite horrible.Walking on an acorn is one thing, constant zinging is another.

Walking is painful, running is worse. Swimming is boring. The elliptical hurts. I am able to stand it one place with little weight on the foot and lift weights. At least that is something. 

I recovered from hysterectomy. I recovered from a broken ankle. I’ll recover from this, too. It isn’t easy though. I’m feeling overwhelmed.  I feel like my sobriety is being tested. Like my mental health is being tested. I feel like I’m getting fat – ter by the day.  Maybe it is the first empty nest during the holidays, maybe it is the anniversary of my mom’s death, maybe it turning 50 and not running Across the Years, who knows.

It’s only my foot. It isn’t cancer, right? Buck up, girl.


6 comments:

Damon said...

Best of luck. My poor wife is dealing with a couple health issues that are really derailing her fitness efforts. She has had two surgeries for an aggressive melanoma on her face and she will be having radiation for that next month. Things are looking good, but it's been a lot for her to do through. She has also been having some "female" issues, and the one place she's been seen so far has been pushing her straight to a full, open hysterectomy, which has a lengthy recovery time. We are seeing another doc today, hoping for a less invasive way of solving the problem. Right now, she is probably looking at 6 weeks to 6 months where she might have her activities limited, and she is really frustrated. Best of luck to you. You will come out the other side stronger, as you always do. Maybe my wife could contact you for your experience if a hysterectomy is the only option.

Julie B said...

Thanks, Damon. I'm sorry for your wife's health troubles. That is a lot to go through. Hysterectomy is no fun, the aftermath is something else. Yes, she can certainly contact me!! Anytime! I hope all goes well.

Sonya said...

Julie,

Merry Christmas to you. The empty nest is a very lonely place to be at times. Hoping for a swift and full recovery with your surgery. You are such an strong person, you will get through this too.

Best wishes,

Sonya

Julie B said...

Oh Sonya, thank you for the kind words. I needed them!!

Olga King said...

JULIE, YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE IT! I know it, you know it, we all know it. It is going to be alright. And it's alright to be overwhelmed.

Julie B said...

Thanks, Olga. Love you! You are the best!