On the menu:
Guacamole - avocado, garlic, olive oil, sea salt in the Vitamix
Hummus - chickpeas, tahini, garlic, olive oil, sea salt in the Vitamix
Garlicky Kale and Roasted Chickpeas-
6 cups torn kale
30 oz can chickpeas
3 Tbsp cumin, 2 Tbsp garlic powder, 2 Tbsp paprika, 3 tsp ginger, 2 tsp coriander, 2 tsp cardamom.
Dressing-1 head garlic - roasted
1/4 cup tahini
2 Tbsp olive oil + more for roasting garlic
2 lemons, juiced (~1/3 cup)
1-2 Tbsp maple syrup (or honey if not vegan)
Tear the kale and place in large bowl. Roast chickpeas with olive oil and spices for 35 minutes at 350 degrees. Roast garlic at same time. Prepare dressing. Pour chickpeas onto kale, top with dressing. Fabulous!
Burritos-beef, refried beans, seasoning, flour, wheat and corn tortillas and fixings: cheese, salsa, sour cream, hot sauce
Roasted brussel sprouts because we always have roasted brussel sprouts!
Blue Corn and Black Bean chips
Vegan donuts with lemon icing. I was going to make with espresso icing but midstream we chose lemon, instead :)
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (carton not canned)
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or agave*
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-4.5 cups flour (give or take)
- ESPRESSO GLAZE-I made lemon glaze
- 1 shot quality espresso or strong coffee (2-3 T) I used lemon juice instead
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- STREUSEL TOPPING: (optional)
- 3-4 Tablespoons butter (non-dairy for vegan)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2-3 Tablespoons flour
- I didn't use the streusel topping-we sprinkled with sprinkles :)
- Bring soy milk, oil, maple syrup or agave, and sugar to a boil in a small sauce pan.
- Once boiling, remove from heat and let cool until lukewarm or 110 F (30 minutes)
- Once cooled, stir in yeast and let set for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add 4 cups of flour and salt, then add to wet mixture and stir, mixing well, then covering with a towel and letting rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Once doubled in size, add the remaining 1/2 cup of flour, (or until the dough is no longer incredibly sticky). Mix well and then let the dough sit for about 10 minutes.
- On a floured surface make about 2-inch balls and place them on a lightly greased cookie sheet, leaving room for expansion.
- Preheat oven to 350 and cover with light towel while warming.
- Once preheated, bake for 10-11 minutes, being careful not to over bake as you don't want the bottoms too brown.
- Prepare glaze and streusel while baking. Once donuts are done, let them cool slightly and then dunk in glaze and cover with streusel. I put the streusel on both top and bottom, and would recommend it for best flavor.
- Serve immediately for best result, or store in air-tight container for up to 2 days.
These donuts were all gone within 24 hours!
We also brewed a batch of KOMBUCHA. What a blast!
Getting our supplies together.
Checking the PH.
Time to brew for 3 weeks !